I don’t ever participate in the memes floating around the neighborhood, but this week’s Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and Bookish was a classic that I just couldn’t resist: Top Ten Books I Have Lied About!
1. I lived with my grandmother growing up and she was a little on the … umm … let’s say conservative side. When I brought home Blume’s Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret in elementary school and she asked me what it was about, instead of divulging any bust increasing, puberty related content I immediately replied … GOD!
2. Admitting to having read AND liked the Twilight series seems to be a major party foul around the blogosphere … but here it is: I read and LOVED ’em!!! Oh, God … did I just say that out loud???
3. I have some kind of weird aversion to Harry Potter fans. I am always saying how much I hate the series, but that can’t really be possible when I have never read the books!!! Well, I tried to read the first one once a long time ago, but never finished it. I have no idea why the mere mention of this series makes me want to gag. Maybe it has something to do with the giant spiders in one of the movies I happened upon once on late night cable … who knows.
4. I once did a HUGE term paper in highschool on Edith Wharton, got an A, but never read one ounce of her work … still haven’t.
5. Allie, plug your ears! I read Tolstoy’s War and Peace for a read along back in January over at A Literary Odyssey … well, all except the last 220 pages! For some reason, I just never finished it. I meant to, but as more and more time went on, I just slipped it back on the shelf. I have to get it over with soon. That way when I tell people I have read War and Peace, the last 220 pages aren’t haunting me … as if the first 1000 pages weren’t enough …
6. I say I really like the stream of consciousness writing style … and I do … at least the idea of it. But, reading Joyce and Faulkner is PAINFUL … ugly painful!